In the past month I have found myself keeping busy in the kitchen. Baking bread has been an excellent activity to pass the time and makes my home smell like a bakery! I am loving King Arthur Flour’s No-Knead Crusty White Bread recipe and have been planning meals based on whether they will be enhanced by a slice of homemade bread.
With all of this bread around, I have been trying to find creative ways to use it. Don’t get me wrong, a slice of warm bread to help mop up homemade sauce never gets old. I had made homemade ricotta cheese for a zucchini lasagna (all the comfort food recipes have become a staple) and put a small bowl of ricotta to the side to dip the bread in while cooking.
This got my food brain thinking and the idea of CBD Ricotta Toast was hatched.
I don’t have kids, so I have had the luxury during this time at home to hone my cooking skills and spend all day in the kitchen; I am very aware that is not the case for many families trying to balance working from home, home schooling kids and the rest of life. Store-bought ricotta and a loaf of bread from your favorite bakery works just as well, making this recipe quick and easy to make as breakfast or a snack. The dose of CBD can help start your day off right or be an added bonus during snack time.
I have been having a blast playing with the endless combinations of ingredients to top this toast but plain is delicious as well. Let us know what your favorite topping combinations are by leaving a comment here or by tagging a photo of your toast @lilyhilllcbd on Instagram. Happy quarantine-cooking!
Recipe: CBD Ricotta Toast
Note: We used our 1000mg CBD Oil for this recipe, but any of our unflavored CBD oils will work just as well. We note below how much to use depending on which strength oil you have on hand. The recipe calls for 15mg/CBD per serving but you can use more or less depending on your desired dose.
- Yield: 1 cup
- 120 mg of total CBD
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- CBD/serving: 15 mg
- 8 oz ricotta cheese
- 2 Tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey (optional)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Slices of bread (try thick, crusty artisan breads like sourdough, rye, wheat, or multigrain)
- 120mg CBD
- Combine ricotta, yogurt, honey, salt and pepper and CBD in a medium bowl. Mix with a stand or hand mixer until light and fluffy (3-4 minutes).
- Toast bread to your liking.
- Spread ricotta mixture over toasted bread. Enjoy plain or add any topping combinations (see below for suggestions).
- The whipped ricotta will last in the refrigerator, covered, for 4 days.
- If you are feeling more savory than sweet, don’t add the honey. It can be drizzled over the top if you want to add it later.
Suggestions for toppings:
- Pears, walnuts & drizzled honey
- Strawberries (or any berries) & hemp seeds
- Fig jam & pepitas
- Fried egg, bacon & red pepper flakes
- Roasted cherry tomatoes, pesto & balsamic glaze (For an extra dose of CBD, use our CBD Pesto)
Radish, green onion & freshly ground black pepper